Thursday, April 27, 2006

First Time for Everything - Club Approaches

The following takes place in November 2005.

So Holiday's cousin is throwing a party at some club in Hollywood. He invites us to go along with him. He also brings along OCWaterBoy, best friend of AsianPlayboy and OC king of Direct Game. This is going to be a very eventful and educational night.

We get to the club and get in and the first set is mine. A 2 set of Asian girls. Good warm-up. I use the same opener about my friend buying a dog and wanting to name it after an 80s cartoon character. It gets a decent response, but I'm not used to vibing at all yet and it kind of dies out. Then I use another opener, boxers or briefs. It has a little steam, but it dies and so does the conversation. I eject.

We all open sets while OCWaterBoy looks on, sending us into sets.

Somewhere along the lines, I start using an opener of, "So are you guys here for the birthday party or the fashion show?" Holiday's cousin is affiliated with the fashion show and we somehow found out there was a birthday party being celebrated at the same club. It gets some response, but since I had no other material and lacked in vibing skill, those sets went nowhere and I would eject.

OCWaterBoy tells us to try the Drunk Girlfriend opener, which would become one of my staples for quite a while. Like Style says, there's nothing girls like better than talking about relationships.

By now, I'm pretty exhausted. I've already opened around 7 sets, but I decide to go for one more. I use the Drunk GF opener on a 2 set. It pretty much tanks. It doesn't engage both girls. One girl, pretty much just completely ignores me and gives me this, what is this guy talking about look. The other girl pays attention and answers the opener, but it just looks like she is trying to help/being nice. I eject and OCWaterBoy says, wow, I could tell all the way from over here that that didn't go so well. Their body language was completely out of it.

A couple of things I learned from these interactions:
1. Congruency. You need to feel congruent with whatever material you're using or the girls will see right through you as being fake. You need to find what you feel comfortable using and keep using it until you get it down. Practice practice practice.
2. Not having any energy. This was probably the biggest reason for the flop in the last set. If you don't go in friendly, upbeat, and with some energy, you're going to get blown out. No one's going to want to listen to you if you're tired, frowning, and have no energy. This will also be seen in the Vegas sarges in a future post.

It was also on this night where I saw the possibility that the Best Friends Test could really have potential and work. It would be used in Vegas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home